Thursday, September 06, 2007

Introducing Indy ...

... our 4 month old Chocolate Lab!







After hearing how much Major enjoyed himself with his canine aunts and uncles this weekend (my in-laws have Boxers), we decided it was time to expand our family by 4 paws. I know - we are crazy or I am a total push over (no need to share your opinion on which it is!). In reference to the post below on sleep, I am sure having this darling pup is only going to improve that situation, right?!?

It was serendipity ...

We have been talking about getting another dog and Doug got the itch this week. We looked at www.petfinder.com and found a couple of labs through the local lab rescues, but they were older and/or recovering from various illnesses and as previously mentioned Doug wanted a younger dog. So, on a whim Doug went to the SPCA at lunch on Wednesday and he saw two precious 4 month old labs, one chocolate and one yellow. They were brand new to the SPCA (they had just been admitted Wednesday morning). So, Doug sent me a link to their photos online and we decided to go take a closer look after work with the understanding that if they were still there, we would likely be taking one of them home. We immediately started coming up with names.

Well, Doug got to the SPCA around 5:00 and they were both still in the cage. So, he filled out the necessary paperwork to play with the pups (you have to get pre-approved to adopt) and then around 5:20 he spent some quality time with the chocolate lab until I arrived at 5:40 or so. After playing with the chocolate lab for a bit, we decided to trade dogs and spend some time with her sister, the yellow lab. I was really torn between the two pups, so I thought it would be a good idea to compare them side by side. Doug was on his way out to get the chocolate lab when he saw an SPCA volunteer walking her with another potential adoptive owner. The gentleman agreed to let the pups play together so that we could all watch.

As it turns out, Doug was partial to the chocolate lab (which the other gentleman had dibs over at the time) and the other gentleman was partial to the yellow lab (which we had dibs over) so we agreed to switch, and just like that the chocolate lab became part of our family.

As we were paying our adoption fee, several families inquired as to whether the 2 lab pups were already adopted. One family had even come in to adopt one of the girls after seeing their photos online. I am pretty confident that both girls would have been adopted Wednesday evening, so it was just perfect timing on our part ... it was serendipity.

So, with the adoption behind us we set out on picking a name. We went round and round with names and ultimately we were down to Indy and Scout. I was partial to the name Scout, but when we went to pick her up this afternoon I asked Andrew which name he preferred and he just started calling her Indy and insisting that Indy was her name ... so just like that, our newest family member was named Indy.

Andrew walked her to the car and as you can see from the photo above he is really excited about his new pup!

Tonight (her first night at home) has been pretty good. Major is not sure what to think of her quite yet but she still follows him around like the pup that she is! She seems to love Andrew too (the love is definitely mutual), so I would call her first night at home a success. She only whined a little bit at bed time and she had one accident in the house - we will see what her crate looks like in the morning! Just when I am almost finished potty training Andrew ... :)

3 comments:

Allie said...

She is precious!!!! Now I just need to figure out a way to convince Marc that Homer needs a friend...

Matt said...

Indy is way too cute!! Good job for rescuing a dog!!! Major will come around...give him a few weeks to adjust!

Paige said...

Oh my gosh yay!! Your new pup is so adorable! And you needed another lady in the house.