Saturday, September 22, 2007

Reflections

Music, a familiar building, a certain car or a chance encounter with some random object ... any number of things can by sight or smell trigger a memory so rich in detail that if for only a single moment it is as if you were back in time experiencing the memory in question all over again.

This happened on Friday when I took a side trip to West University to go shopping at a store that is only located in the village. On my way back to work I passed a salon/spa that I had not been to for 11 years. 11+ years ago I participated in a makeover at this place where I agreed to let them style my hair, do my make-up, etc. and one of the stylist took before and after photos for her portfolio. She cut my super long hair into a layered bob and it has been short ever since. Around the same time I got my braces off and also got contacts, so needless to say it was a very transitional time for me. This rush of memories came over when I passed the salon. In this one moment, I was able to remember all of those details and what was happening in my life at that time ... and just as fast as the memory came to me, it was gone again as I drove past the salon and my mind wandered off to think about something else.

I have noticed recently how often this happens though - I hear a song, pass a store, see an old movie or something similar and a memory comes back to me or I am reminded of a person, a time in life, etc. It just made me wonder - how often do other people have this same experience?

3 comments:

Matt said...

The same thing happens to me all the time. I see places or hear sounds that take me back to different times.

I think that using the theme of "reflections" would be a good photo project. As you hear/see something that reminds you of a memory; take a picture of it, or something that symbolizes it. If you can't at the moment, write down quickly then go back and take a photo. I don't mean a "snapshot", but a photo of that place in time from a "new" vantage point and perspective.

I like this idea...I think I should write it down. :)

Doug Moore said...

I think I will write down that Matty is writing something down...And then maybe I will write down that I am writing something down about myself writing something down about Matty writing something...wait, what?

Allie said...

It happens to me all of the time, especially now when I am in San Diego again. I passed an old friends house and completely remembered how going down their pool slide felt, how it felt to hit the water, and all of the time we spent in that backyard.

I think it comes with age and appreciating all of the things that makes us who we are today.